Sunday, October 26, 2008

Articles of Faith

-I believe that the Bible is God’s Inspired, Infallible, Eternal, Authoritative, Complete, and Sufficient Word. The 66 books of the Old and New Testament canon are Inerrant in the original Hebrew and Greek Manuscripts and are the believer’s final authority concerning faith and practice. (Matt. 24:35, II Tim. 3:16-17, I Pet. 1:23-25)
-I believe in the One Triune God, Eternal, Self-Existent in the persons of God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit; one in essence, but distinct in person and function. I believe that the three persons of the Godhead are Co-equal, possessing all the attributes of God. (I John 5:7)
-I believe in God the Father, who is an Infinite and Perfect Spirit, the Source and Support of all things. He is Perfect, He defines Perfection.
-I believe in Jesus Christ, God’s son, Triune, and Co-Existent in the trinity, who became 100% human by His virgin birth, but remained 100% God. He came to Earth as an infant, was crucified as a man, and arose from death three days later, that to as many as God has given Him, He may give to them eternal life. (John 17:2) I believe that there is one God, and one Mediator between God and man, the Lord Jesus Christ. (I Tim. 2:5)
-I believe in the Holy Spirit, Triune, and Co-Existent in the trinity, who ministers to the saints, convicts, regenerates, indwells, sanctifies, illuminates, and gifts. I believe the Holy Spirit has given gifts to Christians to serve in and through the local church. I believe that of the gifts mentioned in the Bible, sign gifts (miracles, tongues and their interpretation, and prophecy) were temporary and given to the church in its infancy before the completion of the canon of scripture. In this belief, I reject the modern Charismatic movement.
-I believe in the six literal days of creation. (Gen. 1:5,8,13,19,23,31) The universe was created in six literal 24hour day/night cycles, and that on the seventh [24hour] day God rested from the work that He had done. (Gen. 2:2) I reject all forms of evolution, theistic or natural. I believe that man was created in the image and likeness of God, and lived in a perfect spiritual state, but died spiritually when he rebelled, and is living in a totally depraved state, at enmity with God.
-I believe in God’s sovereign Grace, and particular redemption. I believe that He chose His elect before the foundation of the world. (Eph. 1:4) I believe that there is not one who seeks after God. (Rom. 3:11) I believe salvation is final, that it can not be lost. (John 10:28-29)
-I believe in the existence of Angels, spirit beings created by God for His glory and purpose. They are created beings, more powerful than humans, but not all-powerful.
-I believe in Satan who was Lucifer, the highest angel and his following, angelic beings who rebelled against God and were cast out of heaven. They constantly oppose God, and God’s people. (Isa. 14:12-13)
-I believe in the place of eternal punishment and separation from God, designed for Satan and his followers, called hell. (Ps. 9:17) Those people who are not God’s children will spend eternity in hell. I believe in heaven, God’s dwelling, where His elect will spend eternity in fellowship with Him.
-I believe in the spiritual unity of the body of Christ, the church, of which Christ is the head. God has ordained the church, which is comprised of all believers, for the equipping of the saints unto the furtherance of the gospel. They are to observe the two ordinances, baptism and the Lord’s Supper. (Matt. 28:19, I Cor. 11:23-26)

James C. McClure 2007

No comments: